Friday, December 24, 2010

THE SAME OLD CHRISTMAS


Wow, it’s Christmas! How long I have been waiting for this! I have been preparing for this Christmas all through the Advent Season.

Preparing? Preparing What?

Mmm…. To make things new: I bought new serial lights to decorate inside and outside of my house, painted my house new, cleansed my house, decorated my house with flowers and gifts, new clothes, new gifts, new parties, new friends…. Oh, Everything is New.

Yes, Everything is new, except myself. Oh, sorry friends for being too selfish. Yes, Everything is new, except ourselves.  ‘Oh, Holy night, the stars are brightly shining’ – but still we are in darkness.  This is not the ‘Dark night of the Soul’ of which St. John of the Cross speaks off.  This is the dark corner of our soul which we refuse to open to the Light of the World to shine on us.  Why? The light was coming into the world and the people did not accept him (John 1:8-11).  The prophesies are true for they are spoken by God himself. 

Have we ever prepared ourselves for the coming of Jesus in our hearts. Preparing - I not only mean just going for confession and remaining the same but also trying to change our own selves, our attitudes, our behaviors, our characters.  We buy new gifts for our friends and relatives.  What gift do we give to Jesus on His Birthday?

Christmas comes every year anew, but we remain the same.  With our anger, malice, unforgiveness, revengeful thoughts, hurting others, with hurt feelings, hatred, jealousy, pride; with all these our souls are still stinking in darkness, but our outside world is lighted with shining flood lights.  I don’t know, whether the Child Jesus would be happy to be born into our hearts, homes, and in this world in such conditions. Imagine we are all happy, yet He, who is the reason for our happiness is sad.

It’s not just finding fault with us. We may justify telling that we can’t help it because we are human. Can we able to do that? Can we able to clean our hearts as we have prepared the inside and outside of our house with shining lights.  Yes, we can do it.  When we accept our weaknesses in humility we can do it.  For Jesus said, “in your weakness my strength will be known” (2Corinthians 12:9). And still we can do it ‘with Christ who strengthens us’ (Philippians 4:13)

Every year Christmas will come and go unless I (we) become new of myself (ourselves), it will be the SAME OLD CHRISTMAS.  When I am humble enough to forgive myself, love myself, accept myself; then when I forgive others – whoever it may be and whatever it might have been, when I love others – without any differences, and when I accept and appreciate others as they are for what they are; then the Christmas will be a REAL NEW CHRISTMAS for me and in the whole world THE STARS WILL BRIGHTLY SHINE.  And I am sure in such conditions the Child Jesus would be very much happy to be born in our hearts, homes and in this world again and again. And we, for sure, will celebrate A NEW CHRISTMAS every year.


Once again wish you all A MEANINGFUL MERRY CHRISTMAS.

No comments:

Post a Comment